Sunday 19 June 2011

One down, due to my own incompetence

I lost one Roma tomato plant because, although I had put a bamboo pole in for support, I had failed to tie the plant to the pole. The otherwise very healthy plant snapped so I now have three romas rather than four. I replaced the broken plant with a Pink Lady (tomato) which I've never tried before. Otherwise things are looking great up on the roof. My cucumbers and zucchini have blossoms so I fertilized them with a 4-6-8 fertilzer which I hope will be good for all the demands the rooftop containers.
Zucchini going great guns

Cucumber and blossom

I also had to find a better way to secure the garbage bags to the siphon container as some had come lose. I used the rubber gasket from 3 spare lids and put them around the containers. I think this will work better than merely tucking them under the container itself since the wind had blown the bags off. The bags (per early blog) are used to block the light and hope fully stop algae from developing in the siphon container.

I now have a good arrangement for the tomato being grown in the topsy-turvey. The plan is to compare the yield between the rooftop containers, the topsy-turvy and the traditional garden tomatoes. As such, I'm using the same type (Early Girl) but three different growing scenarios.

The container tomatoes are growing well


Topsy turvy also doing well
Traditional (directly in the garden) is growing more slowly


1 comment:

  1. Looking great Sharon! Keep posting pics as this is this only way I intend to see your rooftop garden...

    ReplyDelete