Sunday 5 June 2011

Algae!

It took till this weekend to get the ladder back up. I went up today and found that the siphon buckets are filled with algae. I plan to dump, clean and refill them and cover them to cut off the light source  (in this case the sun) which I understand is required for algae growth. I'm not sure that algae in the water source would do any harm other than eventually building up on the siphon tubes and clogging them but in any event I will try to get rid of the algae.

Otherwise, everything is fine so  actually made 4 more buckets this weekend and planted 4 Roma Tomatoes. Some of the plants are showing a little transplant shock ( a bit of yellowing on some of the leaves, mostly the cucumbers). I've been measuring the moisture in the buckets, soil seems reasonably moist and the level of water in the siphon buckets hasn't changed much. I actually haven't had to water the plants since May 22. We've had quite warm weather, between 20-30 C but we've also had some rain which will keep the buckets topped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment