Saturday 28 May 2011

Researching Self-Watering Containers

Over the winter I found several helpful sites with information on self-watering containers. I was particularly impressed with this one http://www.globalbuckets.org/ and was inspired by the two young brothers who created the organization. They had a design based on two buckets that is the basis of my container design. I had seen variations on this design using a single bucket and LECA with horticultural fabric but decided to go with a design that would maximize the water reservoir space thereby minimizing the number of trips up to the roof merely to top up the water; as I mentioned in my previous blog entry I have to access the roof via and extension ladder. I also have decided to implement a siphon system to further reduce trips to the roof. 

If this project is a success, we may invest in a more permanent solution for accessing the roof top garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment